I WANT TO THANK MY INTERNET TEACHERS FOR ALL OF THE TUTORIALS, BLOGS, PODCASTS, FORUM POSTS, AND YOUTUBE VIDEOS THAT MAKE THIS BLOG POSSIBLE.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Traditional vs Digital "The Critical Stroke"

Being an artist who has leaned to paint through digital media I am finding pitfalls that can develop from not learning any traditional techniques or not using any traditional media which is a very bad idea.  I do use traditional media, however, I learned to paint digitally first, then I transitioned what I learned about painting digitally that to traditional media because in the end both are just tools.  The reason for my backwards education is digital is cheaper and less toxic, but I cannot wait for the day I can do both traditional and digital equally.

The pitfall is a digital artist does not have that moment when painting where a certain brush stroke become critical.  Watch this trailer for Greg Manchess Paints "Above The Timberline"

"The next bunch of strokes are going to be pretty critical," states Greg at 2:07.  I realized that is something that is one of the most important aspects and the difference between digital and traditional.  In digital one never has a critical stroke because of layers and undo, I think that this can be a handicap if one takes for granted the impact of that one stroke.  That is why Greg can paint so fast, over the decades of painting he has leaned to trust himself and he has learned to see a few strokes a head, almost like a chess master. 
So, when painting digitally think about how each stroke impacts the rest of the painting.  One of the best ways to do this is to use layers to one advantage.  Drop a paint stroke in turn it on and off and study what the stroke did for your painting, but think before you drop in that stroke.  The other way is to USE TRADITIONAL MEDIA because it really does make one a better artist. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment